Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Kansas Bound

In the morning, I'm off to my next assignment. Living next to a time zone, not only do I have to calculate drive times, I have to stop and think whether the time difference will come into play.

Tomorrow's a one stop -- La Junta, Colorado. A fairly straightforward job that I had been declined further down because dispatch deemed it too simple for the rates I was asking. Given some of the comments in the notes, I think it's safe to say they overestimated the ability of techs who take lowball bids. Oh, well, "you live some you learn some" can apply as much to them as to us.

I have to cross over into Kansas, and was debating a couple of other Colorado jobs before rolling that way, but they're too far north to make the detour. So it's a one stop day, leaving me with miles to cover but not a lot in the way of obligation before Thursday morning in Garden City. I get a little busier after that -- 2 jobs in Garden City, then on to Dodge. I am not sure what the time window looks like, but there's an unfilled ticket in Scott City I may be taking a second look at before heading on to Dodge. A hectic day, to be sure.

Fortunately, the drive works for me in this case, and driving east to west across the time zone fives me the hour back that I'll lose tomorrow night. That's always nice.

I'm not sure of prospects to sit down and play on either day, but I'm certainly willing if someone else is willing to listen. And I may play on Boot Hill for a couple of songs just to say I played on Boot Hill.

After all of that, I will be getting to roll back for a bit of R&R. The online charter school my oldest two attend is having a picnic in Santa Fe, and I may head down to the plaza following the picnic and see if I can make a few bucks in tips.

It's a bit frustrating being held to 2 to 3 day weeks, but that's going to have to be the routine for the short term. We're working on long term changes, but sometimes that seems quite far off.

No comments:

Post a Comment