Monday, October 13, 2014

To Go, or Not to Go

I was prepared for the slowness of the offseason, but it has been a little slower than I hoped. As I write this, I am on hold for a project, and the reason I am on hold underscores what I don't like about the direction IT is taking.

See, I was dispatched out last week for a back office PC install. I went to the site, discovered two parts missing that are kind of crucial for the installation. I was released from site, but as I discussed the situation, I explained that it would be Monday (today) or Tuesday before the job could be finished.

He was adamant about it needing to be done before Tuesday.

And so I headed home, with a game plan: if it looked like a no go for the parts on Monday, I would get the parts and return to the site and complete the install. I could worry about the reimbursement later.

I arose this morning planning to do that, but was shot down by the buyer. They didn't have a way of reimbursement. Now, as I write this, I at long last have an answer from the buyer sending me to the site tomorrow (Tuesday), which was not the customer's preference.

But in all of this, what gets lost is the customer. The person who should be at the very center is pushed off to the side. Nobody benefits.

And so I get to go onsite, and because I am the face of it all, I get to see the customer's frustration. Hey, I'm good with that, but I still think there's a better way to serve the customer.

My hope is to hold my vehicles together through winter, and that in the spring we can be better positioned to travel. I can't make money standing still.

No comments:

Post a Comment