Wednesday, March 2, 2016

A Tough Choice to Make

In Tulsa town,
We chanced to stray,
We thought we'd try
To work one day,
The boss said he
Had room for one,

Said my old pal,
We'd rather bum
                   --Tom Paxton, "Ramblin' Boy"


So, I headed back to Oklahoma City last night, had to make the rush back to set my garbage out. I had called day labor to make sure that I didn't need anything to get registered here. They said they just needed to update the profile, so I planned to head over.

Driving all night and waking up early is not a good combination, but I made it. After much procrastination, I headed out. I couldn't find my coat, so I jetted over to WalMart to pick up a light jacket, figuring I had left the coat behind in New Mexico.

I made it to the day labor office to find another guy waiting outside. The sign said the office opened at 5:30, but they didn't crack the doors until 6. I waited, and spoke with the fellow outside. He had no transportation and couldn't get jobs because of it.

I changed my profile, and received a ticket to head over to Yukon to work, but they only had a single opening. I offered to take the other fellow out if he needed it, but she didn't seem too interested in sending him out. I didn't know, didn't ask, figured I would just observe on this one, but I badly wished to reject the ticket until they found one we could both roll out on. Unfortunately, on this day, my need for money outweighed my desire to be a crusader. I don't know if I'll ever feel right with that decision.

I really see an opening here to do something important. That fellow went back out in the cold with nobody there to speak for him, and I couldn't help thinking maybe that's where I need to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment