Monday, February 8, 2016

The Amarillo Gambit

This morning didn't start out well. After the drive to Amarillo and freezing in the van the entire way, I was becoming concerned if I was doing the right thing. I certainly regretted rising at 2 AM to get to one day labor locale in time for their opening; I won't be able to be processed there until Wednesday at the earliest.

But to be honest, staying in Clayton means zero bucks. Amy will be off work another two weeks, and our funds are dwindling. So I headed to Amarillo resolving to stay in the van if necessary. The second day labor place I went to was able to process me at 9 AM, so I figured the week wouldn't be a total loss. The fallback is to collect aluminum cans; petty income, but income nonetheless.

About 8 AM, I received a call asking me to head to Tucumcari. I was feeling my gambit somewhat lost, as if I had known work would come up in Tucumcari, I could have headed that direction instead of Amarillo. But I needed to get processed with day labor, and heading to Tucumcari when they initially wanted would not allow me to do that. So I asked them to delay the start time until 11:30, and was able to squeeze both in (Tucumcari is back across the NM line, so there was an extra hour to get there). In addition, I needed to stop by FedEx to print up the paperwork.

I was able to secure mileage reimbursement, and headed on my way. I figured with every hour I work, I would be able to cover another night's hotel stay. I wound up working five, so I'm good on hotel stays this week.

Now to set about making more money. A not so good week is suddenly looking decent.

No comments:

Post a Comment