Sunday, August 3, 2014

Busier on Down Days than Up

So I'm sitting here with no certainty for the upcoming week (prior to Friday). At this point, I am thinking I need to hit the road more for exposure than anything, as I really need to get the fundraiser rolling. It's not coming from the people I already know; that much is abundantly clear, and so somehow I will have to reach people who I can get to understand what I am doing.

It isn't easy; in fact, it's probably my biggest frustration. How I can spend so much time on the planet and have only a very small number of people (too small to constitute a genuine funding base) understand what I am doing is beyond me. It's very frustrating.

What I do know is this: if the coming year is anything like last year, we will be moving. We don't have a lot to sell, but maybe the sale of our house would net us enough to get a decent apartment in a city that isn't so isolated and is a bit more politically diverse.

The frustrating thing is, I do enjoy the community (another hard thing to get people around here to understand; criticism doesn't mean I dislike you; in fact, it usually means the opposite).

But I've garnered a lot of opposition because I refuse to take a $10 an hour job and basically throw my degree away. Of all of the mindsets around here, thst one is the single most annoying one. For years, I was told that I was short changing myself; that I needed to earn a degree. So I listened, and I did it. Now the very same folks are telling me to ignore my degree, take a nearly minimum wage job and "work your way up". Probably to include getting another degree at some point (in fact, I HAVE been advised by a few folks to "go back to school"; my answer is simply that if my Bachelors isn't doing much for me, I don't see a Masters doing anything more than adding debt.

It's not a matter of complaint; it's a matter of fact. Right now things look OK, but we haven't hit the slow season yet. If the coming year is like the last one, we will be gone by this time next year. There frankly won't be a choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment