Wednesday, August 6, 2014

The Slowdown

Well, school starts Monday, which to me is ridiculously early,  but no worries. We're going to basically follow the school calendar in our return to homeschooling, because it's just easier that way.

So that means that my work will be confined to later in the week, as I will be doing most of the instruction. I might be able to take the kids along on certain assignments, but that's not a workable usual practice, so I think I will try to book Thursday and Fridays with whatever's available, and head out and gig on the weekends. I may be able to schedule some day assignments earlier in the week, but that will be hit or miss.

I picked up a second job to follow up last night's assignment, which is good because supplies took a decent chunk out of the profit of that job, and today's job was basically bonus. It was an Internet connectivity issue, and given those are super easy, was a quick fix (although I did extra work...ALWAYS offer extra work on a quick fix, is my motto!).

So as I was heading out of Lubbock late last night, I drove by the airport, and because I was exhausted, briefly wondered why the airport was not named after Buddy Holly. Then I kicked myself for the stupidest question in the history of humanity, glad I hadn't lingered around long enough to ask that question of any locals. When I drove in, it was apparently shift change for the PD, because I briefly felt like I was in the middle of the OJ chase of the early 90's, as TEN police cars pulled on and gradually around me on their way to their assignments. And here I was sitting with my GPS on my lap, afraid to look at it and possibly net a souvenir ticket from the PD!

I pulled into the rest stop north of Lubbock. This rest stop has two bathroom buildings, so that when one is down for cleaning, the other is available. The lovely night janitor had both closed and locked, and was so kind to GLARE at me when I tried to come in. I later saw her silhouette in the rest stop's office, apparently sleeping. I was briefly tempted to dash across the Interstate for the southbound rest stop, but thought better of it.

To add to all my fun, Straight Talk apparently chose this month to NOT send reminder texts that my service was expiring, so I had to rush out and get a card so that I could schedule this morning's job. Fun times!

I did get a fair amount of songwriting done. At least the easy part of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment