Friday, January 22, 2016

Home Again

It was a long week, but a productive one. I am home now, trying to rest up for whatever next week brings. Right now, I have nothing; my best hope for the week just closed up.

As I was speaking with support on one of the calls, they lamented that most of the techs they had worked with didn't know anything, and expressed appreciation for the fact that I did. Unfortunately, I've lost most of the bids on this project because they are initially offering them at rates that are about 20% of what they should be. I don't know why they expect qualified techs at near minimum wage rates.

As I was driving home today, I calculated up the totals for the week. If you don't count my travel time, I made a little above minimum wage. If you do...well, let's just say I am seriously considering looking at day labor options in Amarillo this week. Still, it was enough to keep us going through the week, inching us ever closer to tax time, which right now is waiting on the delivery of some W-2s.

Next week the Toyota's going in the shop to get a new timing belt. That will mean I will pay a bunch more in gas, but the prices are low right now, and if the weather holds, I may be able to skate without a hotel. It's not comfortable digs, but it's cheap digs, and that's all that matters at the moment.

I am thinking about branching into art, but need to keep working at it. I am also trying to work my way towards busking regularly, but I have difficulty being brave enough to venture out there. If this goes on much longer, though, I don't think embarrassment will be a concern anymore.

And so I wait. I have laundry to catch up this weekend, and a few household projects, so I will try to knock those out. I did put in for a job on Feb 1 over in eastern Arizona; if I get that, I may just look for work over towards Flagstaff and see if I can make a Grand Canyon stop and put my concerns into true persspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment