Sunday, January 17, 2016

On the Road Again

So, tomorrow, it starts, again. In my little red 1993 Toyota Corolla, I will be rolling out to Spearman, Texas, then to Garden City on Tuesday. Back home on Wednesday, then back out to Amarillo and Lubbock Thursday and Friday. Because we're mired in the middle of winter, I'll not try to sleep in the car or anything stupid like that, but I'm still looking for cheap digs, as I bid low on travel and lodging expenses.

This is becoming increasingly competitive as I struggle to win bids against people with less skill and lower expectations for compensation. "Cheap" is the new "quality" these days, or so it seems.

I ultimately need to figure out a way to make some dollars in between on these jobs. I'll make enough on these trips, but need to figure out a way to bring in more revenue. There aren't a lot of cheap motels on the Texas to Kansas stretch (and, truthfully, not a lot of cheap campsites, although the Garden City WalMart is a serviceable place to overnight). I may hit the highway for some cans if that looks promising enough.

Unfortunately, our cash reserves are low, so it will be peanut butter and bread most of the way. Still, one could do worse, I suppose.

Still, this week will net me a decent wage. That will be useful for the move.

No comments:

Post a Comment