Tuesday, January 19, 2016

We're Not in Kansas Anymore, Toto

After I checked in at the hotel in Garden City, I decided to pick up some woodcarving tools. They had to be hand tools; for a project I am planning for the near future. I picked up the tools and went to look for some found wood for the project. Specifically, I was looking for a broken pallet, but found some plywood pieces in a vacant part of the lot. Score! A little big for what I was planning, but a pretty good test piece.

When I unpacked my guitar to settle into the room, one of the other guests asked if I was going to play. If I weren't horribly out of practice, I might have suggested a little jam in the lobby, but I've been in a funk recently, and really wasn't ready to play in front of anyone. I spent the evening carving wood, watching the Peter Jackson version of King Kong, and playing guitar. I fortunately grabbed the AmericInn hotel, right next to my job site.

It was shortly after I settled in that I got the news of Glenn Frey's passing. Seems like a lot of good ones recently. The Eagles have been part of my life since, well, I had a life, and were important enough to make the road trip stop in Winslow. First Lemmy, then Bowie, then Glenn. This is starting to suck on a greater magnitude.

So I got to the job site at 11 today, to find that nobody knew anything. I called to check in, sat on hold for 15 minutes, called the company that actually did the dispatch, they said the queue was much longer than 15 minutes.

So I sat on hold. For over an hour. Then a vague part of the documentation had me having to call in again. Another hour on hold. Onsite for 6 hours; spent about half of that on hold. I can't say I'm disappointed that today's was an hourly job. Since this is a project, though, always have to do the first one to really figure out the actual onsite time. I'm heading to Lubbock and Amarillo later this week on the same project.

I'm trying to secure a couple of piggyback jobs at the end of this week. So far, though, so good. We're still not dancing in the streets, but the money's looking better than it has for awhile. I'm back home now, trying to relax for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment