Wednesday, January 20, 2016

No Rest for the Weary

Well, I headed home last night for a day's rest, some grocery shopping and a quick consultation with the mechanic regarding the Toyota. I'm going to have some work done next week, nothing too major, but something to keep the car on the road. The gas mileage is incredible, and it should pay for the work in two months' time.

Fortunately, payment has come in on a couple of jobs, so I've got a little more than a wing and a prayer to work with out there. I also picked up a second job in Amarillo for Friday (or Thursday if I finish up early enough in Lubbock to shoot up 27). It doesn't pay much, but will help fill in a little extra cash on a route I am already travelling.

I had my hoped high for next week when I saw several jobs in the Texas Panhandle, but those went out to someone else. I still have another bid out, then may be travelling down to Odessa. If I get out there, I may amble back up home a little slower than normal, taking in some sites along the way.

The weather has cooperated enough that I'm tempted to sleep out of the car, but I have to remind myself that although it is very moderate, it could turn at any time. And my being equipped to handle staying out in such weather is still a stretch down the road.

All in all, things look promising at this point for my first time out in awhile. And we're holding our own at home; winter's about 1/3 of the way over, and we still have a lot of the woodpile left.

No comments:

Post a Comment