Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Aliens Among Us

Yesterday was an interesting day. After I rolled out of Santa Fe, I caught the road down the Interstate to head to Roswell. At the very edge of the small community right off the Interstate, I saw another hitchhiker, in an area not particularly well suited to hitchhikers (although, what area is, really?). I pulled over and he was headed to Roswell. That was the second time that day we were headed to the same endpoint.

He was an interesting fellow. An aircraft mechanic, circumstances partly of his own making had put him on the road for awhile. He had left Seattle Saturday, and was headed for Roswell, hoping for work, although he didn't know quite what for (the alien culture kind of appealed to him.

In my travels, I'm finding a lot of people with stories worth the telling. Stories I certainly wouldn't have if I were staying at home. When we pulled into Roswell, I did my durndest to help find a mission, although none was readily available. I gave him the best tips I could from the road, and dropped him off at the best spot we could find, then headed out to make my own camp.

I got to thinking a bit about last week's meeting with Tim Z. Hernandez, and hoe nothing is to chance, really. When he found the names of the Deportees, he mentioned that his mother (or grandmother, I don't particularly remember that exact element of the story)had suggested it was his story to tell. Steinbeck and Woody both spent time with folks during the First Great Depression; it only makes sense that I would do the same during the second (which I still believe we're in, as I have seen ample evidence to support it).

My job in Roswell will be completed much faster than the drive over or out, and I'll be on my way into the TX Panhandle. I stuck my bid in for 3 jobs Thursday and Friday that should complete the week. The jobs, again, are reaffirming my methodology. If I were coming from home, there is no way I could bid them low enough for the customer's satisfaction, and they pay well enough if I don't need to be compensated for 400 miles round trip travel.

But we'll see if I get 'em. I'm hoping so; it could turn a marginally profitable week into a decent one.

No comments:

Post a Comment