Wednesday, July 30, 2014

....and the Hits Just Keep on Coming!

So, I got the brake line fixed, but the calipers need to be replaced, meaning a complete brake job. I was going to try to postpone it a bit, as we were hoping there was some brake, but a rather harrowing right turn to avoid running a red light out on the road changed that in a hurry. Given that the van has a high center of gravity, I count myself fortunate that I didn't roll it to avoid a possible collision.

So that means the surplus we hoped we have, we don't. Same old story, same old song and dance, really. And the more days I'm down, the less money I can make.

Going to limp back from the road today and hope I can get the brakes finished by the end of the week. All told, will be a total of $550 before we're done paying the piper on this one.

When I headed out this morning, I got everything together except the guitar. That doesn't matter for the IT side of things, but since it's my ancillary income stream, not a good game plan overall. Finding out the brakes still don't work means I'm headed back early anyway, but that wasn't a given when I left this morning.

On the plus side, my windshield, which has long served as a sort of transparent Elysian Field for the insect world has now been lightened of the corpses of several arthropods who had long since passed to their final reward, as a result of the rain in southwest Kansas. The rivers still aren't running up this way, but it's green enough that Dorothy might not have been so hasty to long for her egress.

At any rate, hoping the job this morning goes smoothly and swiftly. I'll feel much better when I pull safely in home.

No comments:

Post a Comment