Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Rest: Equal Parts Frustrating and Fulfilling

My life is a comedy of errors. Before heading out on vacation, we had to make a payment to the electric company. No problem, right? Normally that would be true, but something about the phone payment made me think it had not gone through, so I did an online payment as well. So, two times payments. This, of course, cut significantly into our vacation fund, as did needing to take on two new tires on the van prior to vacation. Then, while out and about, I had a tread separation on  the tire on the car. The hits kept on coming.

All of this meant coming home with about $10 cash to our name until Thursday. That means the van remains parked until the payments process on Thursday, at which time I can head back out.

That was a hard thing to take on Tuesday, when I had to pass on a VERY lucrative Wednesday night job. And Thursday and Friday look dicey at this point, although that can change at a moment's notice.

But I've noticed that, even though I don't want the downtime, I usually need it more than I am willing to admit. Because I wasn't going to be able to do the drive straight through on Sunday night, we put in at Elk City and left early in the AM, getting home. I then proceeded to sleep pretty much the remainder of the day. Tuesday I was feeling miserable, and am still in the process of getting over that. So the downtime was pretty much needed, although it still falls in the "no fun" category.

All I have booked for sure at this point is a job in Los Alamos next week, and a job in Garden City, Kansas the following. But I knew when I started this it would be a lot of uncertainty, and slow going at times. I joke that I might as well be a professional musician, because I pretty much live the life.

In the Los Alamos stop, though, I am planning on getting my Santa Fe busker's permit to make myself "official". Don't know yet if I'll get time to actually busk. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment