Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Summary of the First Two Months

So, I started the day in Hereford, continued on to Amarillo, and ultimately to Pampa. I'm sitting around finalizing my paperwork with nothing booked out the remainder of the week. I put in for work in Dumas Friday, but I'm not getting an answer and if the buyer stalls much longer, I may just call it and go home.

I like what I do, but I'm definitely going to have to get better at this. In addition, it hasn't escaped my attention that I have a few months yet until weather impedes my travel and will force me to find accommodations more robust than my van -- at least part of the time.

And when I'm struck with concern that this is very frustrating time to time, I have to remember that the conventional work paradigm was just as frustrating. I'm trying desperately to get momentum, but I don't know where the breaking point is. I have to learn a whole new career (busking), and I have to develop something consistently interesting in my writing that people are going to want to buy, or this gravy train isn't going to last.

I wish I could talk with folks who actually had a concern in helping me build my business and could give me more useful advice than "go work at the...(prison, dollar store, drudge job of the month). It's great general advice, but it's not getting me any nearer my goal. And it ignores the fact that I already logged a lot of years in the drudge jobs. I'll do what I have to do, but trying to find something more lasting and fulfilling is the goal.

I made money, and definitely not a shabby amount, but there was a lot of outlay for expenses, so we're not exactly swimming in cash. And I know the music/writing side is going to take a long time to build; I have an idea of what and how I need to develop to make my style at least slightly profitable.

I gained a wealth of insight and got some pretty solid ideas; the kinds of profit that can't show up on a balance sheet, but will make a difference in the long haul. I've gotten a bit bolder, a bit "harder", and a lot more tired. I've had some quality time with my guitar and been steered artistically in some directions I wouldn't expect. I'd tell you more, but, really now, wouldn't it be better to just surprise you?

The road's been kind so far, and I long for more of it. But I definitely have a lot of work to do in my downtime. Just trying to decide at the moment when that will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment