Wednesday, July 9, 2014

WalMart Camping in Ponca

So after yesterday's drama and marathon drive, I finished at the site and headed up to Ponca City. All in all, I'm glad I made this drive at the end of the day, as it was a long one.

Unfortunately, I could not find a place to tent camp, so I defaulted to the WalMart parking lot and slept in my car. Thank goodness for sunroofs; it was a very humid night. Sleeping in the car wasn't entirely unpleasant; I'm just very self conscious and wasn't wanting gawkers.

I woke up this AM and made a first trip to McDonald's for the wifi and power. I was there about 10 minutes before the power went out. I tried the city wifi, as I still had about an hour's battery life left, but couldn't get an Internet connection, so I searched for a bathroom to change. I couldn't find a particularly good one, so I wound up having to walk past the clerk at a smaller convenience store with a bundle of clothes under my arm.

This is one thing I do miss about the van; the ability to change at will.

I have a few shower design ideas I want to put in place on the van, but it's ultimately going to take a little bit of trial and error, and it will certainly take finding a place of semi privacy.

It is amazing to me how difficult some of the tasks we take for granted can be, and equally amazing how much less I care when I walk into a store. I used to follow the tried and true rule of paying for something every time I use the restroom or the Internet; I'm gradually realizing I can't afford that every time, and just using what I can. So far, no more than a few dirty looks, but that may change in time.

One more job, though, and I'm headed back to Okemah. I'm more than ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment