Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Back Online and the Vacation Gambit

So, I have been completely away from the Internet for 48 hours. Really a little less, but I was too exhausted to do anything but hit the sack and post a few smarmy Facebook replies last night.

I spent Monday and Tuesday helping out with cleanup at Inlow Baptist Youth camp in the middle of the Cibola National Forest on Monday and Tuesday. Monday involved helping to disassemble an old water tank; morning wasn't too bad, but by afternoon the heat was downright brutal. I was definitely glad to get out of the sun the time the day was out.

Tuesday was a bit cooler, although the afternoon still was pretty hot. There was a breeze there, though, that we'd been practically begging for on Monday. No Internet, no cell phone, I was about as cut off from civilization as I've been in a long, long time.

The first thing I saw when coming back was a message telling me about bills that had come in and were overdue. I explained as best I could that this is precisely WHY I'm living on the road; there simply isn't money back home in my field, and I've no desire to completely uproot, when we have a home and are content with it.

I'm working on booking Oklahoma next week during vacation, and, if all goes well, should have vacation booked and then some. The festival doesn't officially kick off until Wednesday night, so Monday and Tuesday bookings are OK, and even early Wednesday bookings, as long as it works me back towards Okemah. We'll see, but if all of my offers are accepted, we'll actually make money on this vacation trip. Not as much as a non vacation week, but as we've learned, ANYTHING extra right now helps...a lot.

Beyond that, who knows at this point. I'm booked in Garden City Kansas July 30, still trying to fill the two weeks between.

No comments:

Post a Comment