Monday, July 7, 2014

Crisis Averted, and Being "That" Guy!

With some chagrin, I must admit, I've become "that" guy.

You know the one: the guy who handles everything with a deft flick of the phone and either a web search, a phone call, or a continuing combination of the two. It can be annoying, for sure, but it is my lifeline.

So when my lifeline goes down, well....

The earlier events would have made for a very good slapstick comedy. See, I could get Internet at McDonald's, but not phone. I could not get phone in town; had to drive 2 1/2 to 5 miles south of town to get a phone signal, with no data. So sorting things out involved stopping at McD's, driving to where I got a signal, and back to McD's over and over again.

Aaaah, the joys of rural life.

I had been contemplating purchasing a "roaming" TracFone specifically for the dead spots; today sealed the deal. I could have handled the phone without the data.

So, in researching free campgrounds, I found one 15 miles from tomorrow's site, but the comments appear it is now a paid site (although an inexpensive one), so I am staying in Elk City. My intel says that it is good for three nights, so if the campground is up to snuff, may make it my base of operations through Wednesday. I'm offering the site asking for a revisit next Monday; since we'll have to hold out until Monday AM to take our 14 year old out to Falls Creek, this actually could work out nicely, as it's directly on the way home. We'll see, I suppose.

Anyway, I have a phone to set up and a tent to pitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment