Friday, June 20, 2014

Awake Way Too Early

Got to test out the new sleeping accommodations last night. We put a foam mattress pad in the back, as a more comfortable alternative to sleeping stretched out on the back seats. I would have tried it Wednesday night, but didn't want to get too comfortable, lest I oversleep and miss my assignment.

Not the best sleep I've had, but not the worst either.

When I decided to do this, one of my reasons was to gain a clearer perspective on a whole subculture we often ignore. And I believe I'm getting that in spades. The irritability, the frustration, all of it is a part of what a lot of people suffer every day. It's certainly helping me to establish a more compassionate perspective, as the old saying goes, we really can't understand someone until we've walked a mile in their shoes.

I miss my family. I miss routine. I miss hot showers, my front yard, and the coffeeshop. McDonald's coffee (the cross I must bear in order to crib free wifi and usually electricity) is just, frankly, not the same, and, let's face it: there's a dearth of healthful options on the value menu.

I woke up at 3:30 this morning, and made the most of it. I had a good opportunity to get cleaned up in the spacious restrooms of my chosen nightly pit stop, and that is a major plus. I would have liked to sleep longer, but I figure I'll make it up on the back end.

I've noticed that in playing everyday, I am beginning to pick up a lot of tunes "organically". I am far from being an accomplished guitarist, but starting to believe I can actually make it as a busker once I find both the courage and the opportunity to try. I'm not sure what I will encounter busking randomly in Texas.

I have two assignments today, so it's back to Kinkos to make some copies. Ergh. I miss small town libraries as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment