Thursday, June 19, 2014

I'm Dog Tired, and So Are My Dogs!

One day, I figure, folks will get me. But then, sometimes I wonder where the fun is in that. Take yesterday/today for example:

Last night was booked out pretty quick. Under the old way of doing things, I would have headed back from last night's sojourn, and head out again tomorrow. In doing so, I would have missed today's assignment. Too little, frankly, to justify the drive to Amarillo, but good bonus money when I've made the decision to stay over. So the "road rules" mean not only saving money, but also making it, and a reasonable amount, to boot.

But it meant going in at 10pm last night, working until 5:30 in the morning, and crawling into the back of the van as the sun was begin to play peekaboo with all of the faces. To tell the truth, I was out so quickly I didn't even notice....with an alarm set for 9:30 AM.

Blast my luck, I woke at 8:30 AM. Plenty of time, though, to read up and get to the site. I did head to FedEx Kinkos, though, hoping that the business cards can be printed out right there, like, you know, the way a truly INNOVATIVE copy center would do business these days? Nope, you can print and order....for about twice what it would cost you with VistaPrint, with fewer design options.

What a deal, eh?

So the noon job would have in any other circumstances been pretty cush. Change out 5 PC's, with one of them being a wall mount XRay PC. I got this job literally because another tech was too nervous to put two lousy screws in the wall (that's it, folks, TWO screws), complaining he "doesn't do construction". Well, one, his loss, my gain; and two, there probably were more issues than that, truth be told. But it meant that I was on my feet for 12 hours out of an 18 hour stretch, and by the end, my ankles were screaming

I stopped by the Amarillo Museum of Art to view an exhibit from a friend (I do need to get out more), but finding no particularly intriguing venues for nightlife, will probably spend some quality time with my guitar and put in early. Tomorrow I am onsite at 10AM, and then have a drive down to Clovis to do the exact same thing, just further down the road. Mi Vida Grande!

No comments:

Post a Comment