Monday, June 16, 2014

The Learning Curve

Tonight, I am overnighting in Amarillo...will have to jet up to Garden City, Kansas, mid morning. After that it may be a case of deja vu all over again, as I have nothing definite up that way Wednesday or Thursday, but roll out to Amarillo and Clovis on Friday.

I'm giving serious consideration to driving over to Dodge City for the music. Last week was fun.

At any rate, I am beginning to redefine what "normal" is. Remarkably, on the road, I have had a few less worries than I had staying at home. And tomorrow alone I am saving 80 miles of driving, good both because of limiting road stress, and because 15 passenger vans aren't the picture of fuel efficiency.

It's taken some persistence in staying the course, though, and I've found it interesting. Oddly, the very same people who tell you all of your life to learn a trade or go to college to learn a career rather than work a job are the same ones that expect you to abandon that career for a job once there are bumps on  the road. I've had a few people who obviously don't understand why I do what I do. My answer:

1. Because I get paid more on an hourly basis doing what I'm doing than I would at local jobs. Most weeks, in fact, I get paid more period.
2. Because this is the career, which I've trained for, rather than the job, which I do for mere survival.
3. Because this allows me to grow and develop as an artist.

I could reply with a simple "none of your business", but I'm certain that most people are asking from a point of respect rather than criticism. And with that in mind, a respectful answer is fitting.

The single best thing about the road, though: I cannot remember the last day that I DIDN'T play guitar. And that is the coolest answer of all!

2 comments:

  1. Really enjoying reading this. I'm kind of jealous of the oppertunities you are getting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I don't know if you have read Thoreau, but I highly recommend "Walden" (it's easy to put the politics of Thoreau aside on that one, if you're not as into his more politicized philosophy). When I first read it, the comment of most folks leading lives "of quiet desperation" really spoke to me, and I resolved not to be that.

    A verse I have always clung to is Matthew 6:25-34. It reminds me that God is in charge, no matter what, and is my confidence in going forward, even if it doesn't make sense to everyone around me.

    ReplyDelete