Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Brother, Can You Spare a...SHOWER?

So, yesterday was longer than I'd hoped. With funds dwindling down and automatic deposits not coming in until Tuesday morning, I didn't have much extra mobility. This meant I really couldn't check into jobs in Lubbock or other area communities, in the interests of preserving extra petrol.

I made a pit stop in Brownfield on the way down and printed the work order signoff sheet. I then rolled out to Seagraves to scope out the job site and see if the campsite there was a possibility (it wasn't; I would have to roll on down the road).

Afterwards, I looked for a place to cleanup and quickly change. The best I could find was a park, far enough off the road that I'd be OK. But before I could do anything, a couple drove up and occupied the parking lot for awhile. Well, at least I was right on the privacy part; someone else saw it, too!

So I headed over to Denver City, but found the area surprisingly bereft of shade. I pretty much baked most of the day, although I did manage to get changed before heading to the job site.

It was pretty straightforward; we were done shortly before midnight, and I rolled up to Brownfield. I checked the ATM, the deposit had not come in. This wound up being a good thing, as a job came across at 3AM, and, had I had the gas, I would have rolled on it. As it was, it was probably better that I get some rest. So as I walked back to Townes from the Allsups store, I spied a bathroom, with running water (some of the park bathrooms are glorified porta potties). I cannot even begin to describe the luxury of being able to thoroughly wash one's hair when you're living on the road like this, and at 3AM, I was unlikely to be interrupted. So I was able to get truly freshened up before heading back to sleep.

That's the one thing I am finding. Sleep comes in short spurts, and an 8 hour stretch is a luxury. And that is within the confines of my safe coccoon; I cannot even imagine having to scout out a safe spot on the streets.

I had debated getting a hotel for one night, but as the goal is to make money, any money I spend on the road is money I can't bring home, so I try to be careful with it. That, and I attempt to follow the cardinal rule of not invoking privilege. This is because I am trying to gain a truly comprehensive grasp of some of the difficulties of homelessness, or borderline homelessness, and, while I'm not quite there (I have a home, although it is, at times, distant, and I have a safe sleeping spot!), I think it's fair to say I'm beginning to understand. And I also know many homeless are further handicapped by the burdens of mental illness and/or drug abuse/addiction, and I can't even begin to imagine that horror compounding a state of homelessness.

I'm currently at Lubbock McD's, being my location of choice because of the availability of wireless in all of their stores. Heading on to Amarillo to see if I can scare up some work today; if not, will be in Boise City tomorrow morning.

2 comments:

  1. Tim, have you ever seen one of those camping showers? It's a heavy duty plastic bags that has a clear side and a black side with a shower spout. Pretty affordable and quite effective! Just put the bag on top of your van for the sun to heat up and voila!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have, but the problem is the issue of privacy. I could build an enclosure (and soon may do so), but probably need to be well off the beaten path for that not to be a problem with local officials. I have a few ideas over the longterm, but need to put them together. Altogether, it's a learning process.

    Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete