Wednesday, June 11, 2014

June 10, 2014

The best laid plans to write notes "real time" and update when I have Internet access were stymied when I left the notebook sitting on top of a stall in a McD's bathroom in Liberal, Kansas. I got the job done onsite, and successfully bid out another Kansas job because I am available and can chop off the usual mileage fees. That is, after all, the idea of these road trips.

All told, I spent about half a day in Liberal before rolling out to Dodge City. Because the jobs aren't until tomorrow, had some time to spend at Boot Hill. I don't mind tourist traps; I just wish they would take more effort to preserve their historical integrity. It's hard to think of the Earps, Doc Holiday and Bat Masterson when a large sign in the window of a show of the historic district that was built to replace Front St. screams "Envios de Dinero". And, fake though it is, I'd like to see more of a Griswolds version of Dodge City than a city trying to be modern with history preserved as an afterthought.

I did manage to scope out two free campsites in the vicinity, but opted for the truck stop as the sites were a bit outside of town. Maybe sometime when I don't have an "early" wakeup. The first site was a lake about 5-7 miles outside of town; unfortunately, the website information is not wholly accurate, as it does have a fee system. Because the lake was closed for everything except hiking and biking (I really didn't want to ask about dry camping; not at this juncture), I headed on to check out the roadside park. Nice enough, and a definite one to keep in mind for future stays. No shade was the biggest drawback I could find.

I had thought about scoping out Boot Hill as a busking place, as it would be nice enough, but I'd like to feel out the community a bit first. Thinking I could pitch the idea well enough if I kept to old cowboy songs; may call ahead for a future visit.

So, thanks to the wonder of the Internet, I scoped out local parks, only found one really viable one and headed towards it, initially to sit and pick. As I drove up, I saw a sign saying there was a "Cowboy Band" performance at 7:30PM on Tuesdays, and the band members were setting up.I took a couple of shots, but the limited Internet may mean I need to wait until I am back home to upload them as an edit.

The concert was enjoyable; the band dates back to 1879, and the band shell was 80 something years old. Nice to see something so nice for the community, and well attended.

I played a fw songs at the gazebo before I left the park; rolled out to the truck stop and played a bit more before rolling in for the night. I'm keeping a steady written diary, good for notes, and will put in direct passages where relevant.

Facts I learned today WITHOUT the interwebz:

"Home on the Range" is Kansas' state song (halfway ashamed I did not know that!)
The "Washington Post March" by Sousa was commissioned by the Washington Post (I figured that much), and because it was a two step, became very popular in dance halls in Europe, where the two step was known as "The Washington Post".

No comments:

Post a Comment