Friday, June 13, 2014

Pulling in Early

The night before last was brutal. I couldn't pull in to the WalMart to camp early because it was just too blasted hot. In the middle of the parking lot, I was a sitting duck. Fortunately, the windstorm that came later that night gave me some respite.

But at the end of the day yesterday, I didn't want to take chances. I had a down day on the road, but used it for research purposes. I pitched my educational folk music program to the library, but wasn't really in the best shape for a good presentation. I am still trying to sort out hygiene issues in the van, as I camp where there is no "free" water available. Going to start saving milk/water jugs for hygiene and smaller water bottles for drinking.

I came up with a tolerable quick breakfast, going to start using granola as one of my staples on the road. If I can stay out of restaurants, except for wifi, I will be doing well. And when I use restaurant wifi, it's my intention to be courteous and at least buy something. Not only is it the way I was raised, it's just good old common sense. Most places don't mind you sitting there with an iced tea for two hours (although there are some with posted limits, which should be respected); they do mind you sitting there with nothing.

I was able to pirate electricity all week, and returned home with a full laptop battery. All in all it was a good week.

I returned home with a few takeaways:

  • Bedding: I have GOT to clear the seats out of the van for the air mattress. I slept, but not comfortably; one of the deciding factors in returning home early
  • Hygiene: water is most abundant at home, so I'm going to have to start carrying my own. I can probably fill up, if I'm creative and polite, but have to leave with a supply
  • Food: although this was a productive week, I spent FAR too much money at restaurants using wifi. I need to scope out the free wifi hotspots before leaving and try to avoid restaurants as much as possible. I need to figure out ways to bring shelf stable, healthy, and decent tasting food along for the ride...and establish a strict budget for perishables.
  • Time efficiency: too much downtime. I need to familiarize myself with historical sites, libraries, and other facilities in the areas where I am working. This process, like the others, will improve over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment